Pages

Monday, April 29, 2013

Top Ten Topics That Instantly Make Me Pick Up A Book


Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

Sometimes book descriptions possess the magic words guaranteeing my total undying interest.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4iusxGWF21rwcc6bo1_500.gif

It's not hard to get me to show up places, either. Seriously, tell me there's dessert and I'll show up early with my spoon in hand.

The same principle applies to books.

One thing about me is that I love a lot of things beyond sanity. Like, not only do I have a lot of interests, but I am passionately obsessed with all of them. So if any books contain any of my geek-trigger topics, not only am I there, but I am there with jazz hands.

Without further a do, here are just sampling of the topics that instantly make me pick up a book:

1. Russia and France
I don't know why, but these are two of my country obsessions. Any historical fiction set in Russia (particularly revolutionary Russia, and extra mega awesome bonus points if it involves the Romanovs) automatically makes me salivate. I also would love to read contemporary YA set in Russia. And France? Well, that needs no explanation. Who doesn't want to travel to Paris, modern day or historical, or traipse through the breathtaking countryside? Or, hell, storm the beaches of Normandy? No, I wouldn't have liked being there, but I sure as heck love reading about it from the safety of my home.

2. Fairy tales
I find them utterly fascinating, simply as a part of our culture and as stories themselves. I love seeing people reinterpret the plots and themes we're so familiar with. I love to see authors give old stories new spins.

3. All things British
Be they boys, bands, bustling cities, ancient manors, sexy footballers, dashing and dead historical figures, or sleepy villages overflowing with seeeecrets-- I am there.

4. Baking and/or cakes
I like baking. I like cakes. I literally just start baking whenever I am the slightest bit bored, and it's kind of a problem, you know, health-wise. Combining cakes with books can only lead to happiness, I feel.

5. Bookstores and books
I love reading books about books. Whether they're magical or contemporary, set in bookstores or just told from the point of view of someone who reveres books, I'm always interested in these stories.

6. Spaceships
I love this new trend of YA sci-fitaking place on spaceships or involving space. Books like Scarlet and These Broken Stars and Across the Universe. Me likey.

7. Jane Austen and other classic literature inspirations
I'm not talking about the ones that read like fan fiction (admittedly very good fan fiction. At least some of them.) I'm more interested in the books that borrow from or are inspired by classic novels, such as For Darkness Shows the Stars, Epic Fail, The Madman's Daughter, and the like. Like with the fairy tales above, I like to see authors reinterpret and play with classic stories and characters by either changing them or placing them in a new setting.

8. Thieves/assassins/potioneers
I love a good anti-hero. I love a main character involved in nefarious and deadly deeds. I like to live vicariously through them and pretend I'm all twisted and bad ass while sitting on the couch in my polka-dot pajamas bottoms eating Thin Mints.

9. Royalty
I was a history nerd as a child. Okay, I still am, but I was obsessed with British royalty when I was a kid. Queen Elizabeth I was my homegirl, but I loved all the princesses I ever read about. British ones, French ones, Austrian ones, Spanish ones, Hawaiian ones, Indian ones. ALL THE ONES. So if I see the word princess, whether in a historical of fantasy or dystopian or whatever context, I am automatically interested.

10. Gothic anything
For obvious reasons, I am all other this Gothic trend. I like dark twisty secrets, haunted things, ghostly mansions, and psychological horror.

11. Travel
 I looooove traveling, both in real life and in stories. Throw in some international, jet-setting fun and I am all aboard. PUN INTENDED.

 Of course, my number one favorite thing to read about is magic, but that's kind of a vague category and I couldn't make myself narrow it down in any way.


Honorable mentions: The 1920's, the 1930's, Los Angeles, serial killers and murrrrrrder (yes. There is something wrong with me. I've been informed and made aware of this), Shakespeare, mythology, dreams or nightmares, unconventional romance, superheroes, small towns (this big city girl finds small town people FASCINATING), boarding school, boats, time travel, the beach, summer, prom, competitions, musicals, the Civil War, the Renaissance, and once again, scores more. I could go on for a very long time, so I'll just stop.

What about you? What topics or words automatically pique your interest? Leave me your links if you have them, please!

18 comments:

  1. I love your list! The way you talk about all the things you love about these types of books makes me want to love them too. But admittedly I'll let you in on a secret... I already love all the things anyways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I love you! It's just a big ole love fest!

      Delete
  2. I swear, every single list I've look at so far has had "Books about Books" on it! I'd say something cute about how we all just can't get enough of books, but I feel like that would just be being obvious...

    Also, "Royalty"? Yes. Hell yes. Specifically with a nod towards the Tudors, in Carolyn Meyers' "Young Royals" series, with "Mary, Bloody Mary" and "Doomed Queen Anne". <3 Making me a history buff at a young age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOD I LIVED FOR THOSE BOOKS AS A KID. Seriously. LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM. I'm pretty sure I sitll have them somewhere. The Tudors are my faaaaavorite.

      And yes, so much bookish love floating around! We are all obsessed. There is no cure except for more books. It's books inside of books. Book-ception.

      Delete
  3. Awesome list :D Ah, fairytales. <3 Love :) And even though you didn't add magic, but mentioned it, yeah. Magic is a must most of the time (A) <3 Thank you for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaha you just won me with that Lily GIF. Isn't she lovely? And I also love books about books :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find fairy tales so fascinating, too. Travel, the British, Jane Austen, and spaceships are all great, too. Great list! It was so hard to narrow it down to 10. I could go on forever, too.
    Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love point 8! Sometimes you just need to read about a good, old-fashioned bad guy. :)

    Here's my TTT for the week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Retelling of fairytales are one of my favorites. oooh you're a serial killer / murder reader? I recommend Chelsea Cain's Archie / Gretchen series. It's about a beautiful serial killer (Gretchen Lowell) who captures the lead detective and tortures him. If you happen to pick the first book, Heartsick, and enjoy it, let me know your thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you love travel give The Lost Girls a try- three women give up their lives for a year to travel the globe. It's pretty interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, I love your list. We share several topics, and it's SO YOU! Also, I have to ask, did you read the Royal Diaries series when you were younger? They're about royalty AND are historic. I loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Assassin has recently made this list if there could be a list for me.

    My TTT
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that baking made it onto your list! (My other book obsession other than novels is cookbooks.) I'm also totally with you on books about books (can't believe I forgot that one!) and anything gothic -- The Thirteenth Tale & Kate Morton's novels are some of my all-time favorites and I can't wait to read more in the genre. Do you have any recommendations?

    New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know, about thirteen books just popped into my head that you'd love, given that list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. FAIRYTALES! BRITS! I love these two things. Someone needs to put them in a book together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Me too! I love fairytale books as well as books set in England or France or Russia. They are a good change indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey sorry that its august and this is from several months ago. I am a sucker for twisted fairy tales. And my twisted fairy tale theme song is officially After Ever After by Jon Cozart or Paint or whatever his name is. Just listen to it. Please

    ReplyDelete

Note: comments on posts older than 90 days are automatically moderated, so they won't show up here immediately. Thanks for commenting! :)