Pages

Monday, November 24, 2014

Review: Jane Austen Cover to Cover by Margaret C. Sullian


Review: Jane Austen Cover to Cover: 200 Years of Classic Book Covers by Margaret C. Sullivan
Goodreads
Release date: November 11th, 2014
Publisher: Quirk Books
Series: No
Source: Finished copy from the publisher
Length: 224 pages
Rating: Gorgeous, Jane Austen-y, hilarious, and comprehensive. Perfect holiday gift for Janeites!

http://www.quirkbooks.com/sites/default/files/book_covers/JaneAusten_final_300dpi.jpg

Jane Austen’s six novels are true classics, still immensely popular some 200 years after their first publication. But although the celebrated stories never change, the covers are always different. Jane Austen Cover to Cover compiles two centuries of design, from elegant Victorian hardcovers and the famed 1894 “Peacock” edition to 1950s pulp, movie tie-in editions, graphic novels, foreign-language translations, and many, many others. Filled with beautiful artwork and insightful commentary, this fascinating and visually intriguing collection is a must for Janeites, design geeks, and book lovers of every stripe.

You guys, this book is my catnip. It combines several of my favorite things: Jane Austen, cover design, history, and humor. It's got a gorgeous cover and full-color pages and hilarious commentary.

Full disclaimer: this book was made for me. I'm coming in with a just Janeite bias. I've read every book multiple times over, I've seen every adaptation that I've heard of, I can quote lines from memory, and I even have Jane Austen band aids. And most important, I collect Jane Austen editions. I am a huge book hoarder and I love multiple editions of my all-time faves. Some of the books I've purchased are highlighted in this volume, which was pretty cool. If a long-lost relative died and left me tickets to a Jane Austen immersion manor across the sea, I'd be there in a heartbeat. So know going in that this book is a total Gillian book in every way.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/f606c3ab1b056a4dfe3c45d3d3070028/tumblr_mh67dofawd1qipjgvo1_500.gif
I'm a cliche. I'm okay with it.
https://31.media.tumblr.com/b7564ee45881f102124bc4325de85977/tumblr_inline_mvq4qvZrS01s8athv.gif

Jane Austen Cover to Cover is part coffee-table book, part history of the evolution of covers for Jane Austen's books, spanning from the old clothbound originals to the modern day designs and movie tie-ins. Each period in history includes clever commentary on the time period, and each batch of covers has detailed commentary as well on the make of the cover, the design philosophy, and the style. Frequently, this commentary is hilarious. Do not skip the small print, because there's snark in them thar pages. It's a delicate, sly kind of wit of which Jane would very, very approve. (Possibly not the jokes about how "unabridged" Mr. Tilney is belowstairs, but who knows. Maybe Jane was a broad.) (But seriously, some of those romance and foreign editions are hysterically bad.)

Many of the covers highlighted inside are gorgeous. And then there's the book itself, which is a work of art. The over-sized hardcover has this lovely velvet and gloss texture, and inside the colors are vivid and the type gorgeous. I found myself petting the book as I read. Poor fondled book. Normally I drink coffee while I read, but I wouldn't let aaaany foodstuffs get near the precious. When I finished, it went straight back on the Jane Austen altar where it belongs. If you have someone in your life who is either a) a cover design nerd b) a Janeite or c) a lover of pretty books, I'm pretty sure they'd love this as a holiday gift.

The only negative about Jane Austen Cover to Cover is that I now have to go shopping. It's like a giant fancy catalogue full of teasery. CURSE YOU, BOOK.



6 comments:

  1. Wait, wait, wait. You have Jane Austen bandaids? Where did you get those? I seriously need some Jane Austen bandaids.

    Also, I can't wait to get my hands on this. It is definitely perfect for me, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The only negative about Jane Austen Cover to Cover is that I now have to go shopping. It's like a giant fancy catalogue full of teasery. CURSE YOU, BOOK." ~ This would be me if I read this book! It would also be an awesome Christmas gift to any Austen fan. I didn't even know Jane Austen band-aids existed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH SO GONNA BUY THIS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I own them all, so no amount of teasery would break me. Although, I think I'm still missing at least one in ebook form. *runs to look*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love books like this!! Must add it to my Chrismukkah list :D I haven't read the books as often as I've seen the movies but I do love anything Austen dearly. And bonus snark is the best kind of snark.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, I'm kind of sad I passed on this one now, because I was all like EH SHELF SPACE AND POSSIBLE MOVING AND WAH, but it sounds super pretty and fun. It sounds like a worthy investment in any case. Maybe it'll be my reward to myself when I finally read all the Austen novels :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: comments on posts older than 90 days are automatically moderated, so they won't show up here immediately. Thanks for commenting! :)