Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Monthly Recap: March



I've been doing this bloggy thing for three and a half years, and yet I've never done a monthly recap feature. Why? I have no idea. So we're going to start doing one! Yay! Let's see what sort of nonsense I was up to in the month of March (or at least, what nonsense I REMEMBER being up to, since omg the beginning of the month was so long ago what even happened all the way back then)



Romancing the Duke by Tessa Dare | my review
Say Yes to the Marquess by Tessa Dare
When a Scot Ties the Knot by Tessa Dare | my review


A Night to Surrender by Tessa Dare
On a Winter's Eve by Tessa Dare (novella)
A Week to be Wicked by Tessa Dare
A Lady by Midnight by Tessa Dare
Beauty and the Blacksmith by Tessa Dare (novella)
The Scandalous, Dissolute, No-Good Mr. Wright (novella)


The Anatomical Shape of a Heart by Jenn Bennet | my review
The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski (reread) | my reread review
The Long Game by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton | my review
Neverseen by Shannon Messenger | my review


The Crown and the Arrow by Renee Ahdieh (short story) | my review
The Moth and the Flame by Renee Ahdieh (short story)

I FREAKING KILLED IT THIS MONTH. Omfg. I read, like, two books in February, and I hated slumping that hard. It was the worst. And then Christina gave me When a Scot Ties the Knot as a gift, and it kicked off my...what the opposite of a reading slump? A reading...good posture? I don't know, but I'm on a series streak, and I hope this reading energy doesn't dissipate any time soon.



Fixer Upper (on Netflix)
HELLO MY NEWEST OBSESSION. Chip and Joanna are this adorable, rather goofy, very creative, occassionlly a bit dim but never about construction stuff couple from Texas who turn craptastic houses into MAGNIFICENT LIVING SPACES. They give me the real estate envy like WHOA. Chip and Joanna, can you please come and redo my whole life? FIX ME UP.

Gilmore Girls rewatch (on Netflix)
I'm just realllllyyyyy excited for Gilmore Girls: Seasons and I NEED A DATE ALREADY

The 100 (airing live)
As always.



A photo posted by Gillian Berry (@mizgillianberry) on






As always, the theme of the month was Hamilton. Because everything. Is. Hamilton.

A photo posted by Gillian Berry (@mizgillianberry) on


reblog link



Saw Allegiant
Oof. Okay, so I quite liked Divergent (the movie), but I thought they went so completely off the rails with Insurgent that my friend and I had to pour ourselves huge glasses wine after seeing it and rant for two solid hours. Allegiant: Part One of One Too Many was...well, it was. It wasn't weird and silly and the actors tried so hard, but the script is nonsense, doesn't follow the book, is strange and expositional and ridiculous and CGI-y and it honestly felt like I was watching strange, lifeless fan fiction of Tris and Four. At least they both looked super hot. And Four takes a shower. We get to see it. That at least was worth it.

Easter at the beach
My family doesn't celebrate Easter, but it was a really beauitful Los Angeles Sunday, so I went to visit my mom at the beach and we had a lovely lazy day. We grabbed lunch, I drank super fancy organic juice that made me feel like a super fancy SoCal girl, and then we did the NYT crossword puzzle which was a HEATED ENDEAVOR LET ME TELL YOU. We take trivia very, very seriously in my family.

Ginger's sixth birthday
MY PUPPY BABY IS GROWING UP SO FAST. I didn't do anything because, you know, Ginger has no idea what a birthday is or what the number six is or anything besides IS THIS EDIBLE (answer: always yes), but I did get her a new peanut butter bone and I rubbed her tummy a lot so all in all, she had a pretty great sixth birthday.

This month's blog posts:

When a Scot Ties the Knot (or When a Grump Beats Her Slump)
Ten Characters I Love but No One Else Does/Everyone Loves but I Don't Get
Are You a Visual Reader?
Bookish Elements That Make My Heart Go BOOM
Giveaway: A Paperback of A Court of Thorns and Roses + Goodies! (open until 4/1)


Apple lemonade
We Los Angelenos are super into juice, and while I've never been a huge juice person in the past, apparently that has changed with a VENGEANCE. So much so that I impulse bought some apple juice the other day, until I remembered that I'm not four and I find apple juice a tad sweet. But then I mixed it with some lemonade...and HOLY SMOKES, PEOPLE, I HAVE INVENTED A CLASSIC, NEVER WILL I DRINK ANYTHING OTHER THAN APPLEADE

(I don't care if someone invented this first don't burst my bubble)

Romance novels
BLESS TESSA DARE!! This is the kind of romance writing I've apparently been searching for my whole life. Consider me a new convert! GIVE ME ALL THE HISTORICAL ROMANCEEEEE

Honey yogurt cake
I made a SUPER DELICIOUS cake this month (sadly I didn't take pictures) with Greek yogurt and some fancy buckwheat honey I had lying around, and it was moist, tangy, sticky, and full on crazy delicious. Mmmmm.

Turkish coffee ice cream


So. So. SO. GOOD. More fancy Southern California organic-ness because apparently I am a pretentious jerk face this month. It's made with real cold-brewed espresso and crushed espresso beans and it's honestly like going ALL THE WAY with the essence of coffee. I want to marry it.

12 comments:

  1. Those photos are so gorgeous! And how great is Rebel of the Sands?! Wonderful post xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! OMG, Rebel was AWESOME. I enjoyed it so much. I need to get my hands on a finished copy!

      Delete
  2. Love your recap! Great reading month too. I really need to get going on some historical romances finally haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad March was a great reading month for you too! YESSSS, GET ON THE HR TRAIN! It's so fun :)

      Delete
  3. wow! you had a really good reading month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for a monthly recap! Loved reading about what you've gotten up to, and I especially love that you've discovered a deep love for historical romance ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alexa! I've always liked READING monthly recaps, so I figured I should start WRITING them.

      HISTORICAL ROMANCE 4EVER <33333

      Delete
  5. Loved this monthly recap! I can't wait to read The Winner's Kiss... the libraries are taking too long!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this, your pics are gorgeous. I don't think I've read a single book on here (oops) but I'm v excited to get into Wrath, finally. I should also watch Hamilton and the 100, just because everyone ever tells me to and it'd be good if I could actually appreciate references now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pictures are so amazing! I love the apple juice lemonade combo too :-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: comments on posts older than 90 days are automatically moderated, so they won't show up here immediately. Thanks for commenting! :)